Thursday, December 9, 2010

The Continuing Saga

of my Adventures in Solids!
I am making (at least) three quilts out of the strips of solid fabrics cut during Sew Day.  For now they are named Quilt #1, Quilt #2 and Quilt #3.  Original.... I know!

I found time the other day to work on Quilts #1 and #2.  
First I double checked my layout of Quilt #1 and marked each vertical column.  I chain pieced all 70 solid blocks (except for the bottom block of each column) for Quilt #1 onto 2 inch strips of Kona White.  I then cut in between the blocks and trimmed them to size carefully keeping them in the proper order.

I worked with one column at a time pinning carefully and really taking my time with each block.   I chain pieced the blocks from column 1 to the blocks of column 2.  After sewing the blocks together, I laid them out and realized I wasn't careful enough.  The top picture shows my mistake.  Can you see it?  

I guess it's only a mistake because of the layout I have in my mind.  Above you can see that instead of sewing the blocks from column 3 to the blocks of column 4, I sewed all the blocks of column 3 to each other and then sewed all the blocks of column 4 to each other.

That is as far as I got.  After I sew the remaining columns of blocks (and rip out the first two),  I will add 2 inch Kona white sashing in between.  This is why the first method I tried does not work....

In between chain piecing the blocks for Quilt #1, I pieced another 20 pairs of blocks for Quilt #2.

I still have a lot of work to do!

Have an amazing day!!!


  1. Lovin' what you are doin'!!! Sew on!!

  2. I love the solids! You're making me want to play with them!